Saturday, August 16, 2008

June 26th

June 26th

Wow! These past few days have been some of my favorite times. We got to Jovente finally around 9 or 9:30 AM on Tuesday. We were served breakfast in Chakte at the Pastor’s house before we actually arrived.
Once we got to Jovente we all met together, had prayer and got started. A blessing was that as we were pulling into Jovente we saw that our work and witness project was already done. Some of our group along with people (men) from the village were going to build a fence around the clinic, but the people took the initiative and built it by themselves! It was kind of disappointing not to be part of building the fence, since I was on the work and witness team. I was hoping I could be a part of something without having to constantly speak Spanish. I knew work and witness would be something that I didn’t need to communicate all the time but I didn’t get my chance on this trip. Though I am glad that the people in the community were able to take the iniative and do it themselves, it must have been a good way for the community to bond.
Since the work-and-witness team was no more Mehir and I took part in the group for the kids; Jerson went with the evangelism group; and Scott who was a quasi member of the Work-and-Witness team, went where he was needed. So my new group-for the kids-got started right away.
We didn’t have Remi right away but instead played futbol in this giant field that some kids showed us, and it was muddy and so fun. There was one point that there were 59 kids playing futbol with us and the numbers just continued to grow. I wasn’t feeling very well so I decided to sit down and catch up in my journal and a bunch of little girls that noticed that I was sitting down swarmed me and started asking me all kinds of questions; Juan said it looked they were going to eat me. After several minutes, Catherine who said she was going to the bathroom came around the corner riding a horse. Needless to say this afternoon I conquered my fears and rode a horse. It was a pretty hilarious and random afternoon.

No comments: