Wednesday, August 27, 2008

July 14th

July 14, 2008

Yippee! Today was the first day back in Cofra Dia since the first time we actually went to Honduras in June. We woke up bright and early, had breakfast and got in the van for the forty-five minute drive out to the village. When we got there the work and witness team started right away, as did the Children’s ministry group. The work and witness team (equipo de trabajo y testimonio) got the tools out and we began prepping the walls to be painted inside the school. That team was Julio, Esther, Maddai and I. The children’s team went to the back and set up their stage and started playing games with the 30 kids that had already arrived.
The evangelism team that I was in didn’t start right away. We waited for all the church members to get there and then Claudia explained to them what we would be doing and then we split into teams and left. I really wanted to be in a group with Catherine, because I knew it would bring me up a lot, but Wes really wanted me to be in his group. Wes and I just have this special connection that I can’t explain, we can read one another so well and so I thought why not. Wes was pretty negative about being in the evangelism team, he felt that the evangecube wasn’t relational; when I finally started thinking it was. It was kind of hard to be in the same group as him because of that. We were also in the same group as a man that reminded me of Indiana Jones and a women that reminded me of Sacagawea, they were amazing.
Lunch was suppose to be at 12 but we didn’t get there until 1 because Indiana Jones pointed to a mountain and told us we were going to climb it and we laughed and thought they were kidding but they weren’t! So Wes, Indiana Jones, Sacagawea, and I climbed up this mountain and witness at a couple different houses, it was such a different experience, it was really neat. One house accepted Christ, but Wes thought that Indiana Jones kind of pressing them into making a decision to accept Christ. After that Sacagawea just pointed to a group of trees and was like this way, it was crazy! We made it though, and climbed out of the forest that was behind the house.
That was just the team I was with for the morning. In the afternoon, I went with Catherine and this guy named Franklin, he was pretty fun and it was a good group and then this other lady and reminded me of Mother Theresa joined our group as well. She was so sweet and reminded me of what faith actually meant, she was so full of life. I love her!
Catherine and I got to ride another horse, which was awesome and got little clay houses for free as gifts, and the most delicious bananas I’ve ever had in my life. We had a really random afternoon, but it was really relaxing and nice. We got to talk to a lot of different people and invited them to the Jesus Film and also had some delicious fruit called grandias.
Then we had dinner at the same house up the hill with a beautiful view of the mountains. Then we went down the hill past the school to set up for the Jesus Film, it was Mary Magdalene’s point of view of the Jesus story. It was really cold but it was a beautiful night and I loved the film, this one was completely different. We had 142 people there; a lot of them were from the Catholic Church and the Nazarene church. I found out during this trip to Honduras that the Catholic Church here however is not like ours back in the states. It is much like the churches back at the beginning of the 20th century. They still have to pay the church for things and the church is almost the political leader of the town; they control everything, yikes! After the video we got to talk and pray with people, I was in a group with Wes and Kendra, it was really good, especially after today with Wes. I talked to him and he was a lot better, we made up and I wasn’t mad at him.
After the video we cleaned up everything and drove back to the seminary for the night.

No comments: